FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions about our translation services. If the information you are looking for is not displayed, please send us your question by email or call us.
We have the following qualifications:
- Expert reading skills in the source language
- Excellent writing abilities in the target language (mother tongue)
- a university degree in a foreign language, linguistics or translation
- extensive subject matter expertise in their field of work (e.g. control engineering, radiation protection, etc.)
- many years of experience working with translation technology
Most translation projects in the language pair German/English are carried out by in-house translators. For larger translation projects, we have access to a network of freelance translators. Quality is our primary concern; therefore, we adhere to the following guidelines:
- Our translators are native speakers who translate into their native language. For example, a document in English to be translated into Russian will be translated by a Russian native speaker.
- Our translators have a university degree, usually in a foreign language, linguistics or translation studies.
- Our translators are equipped for professional work as a technical translator. They know how to perform terminology research and they are familiar with translation technology. Our translators have many years of experience in the translation of complex texts in their area of specialization.
- Our translators are professionals who always respect project deadlines.
Every translation project starts with an evaluation of the text: Volume of the translation, text type, field of expertise, desired language pair (source language/target language(s), etc. Then the project is assigned to a team consisting of a translator and an editor.
If we encounter problems with the understanding of a text, we contact the client and, if possible, talk to the authors of the original document. This can all be done via telephone, e-mail or, whenever possible, even in person.
Gauss Translations translates technical, scientific, medical, legal and commercial documents in a variety of fields. We specialize in the translation of texts from the following fields:
- Nuclear medicine
- Radiation protection
- Environmental protection
- Laboratory diagnostics
- Process control
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Windows software
- QA documentation
- Annual reports
- Stock market reports
- Information technology
- Internet sites
Do you have a translation project in a different area of expertise? Maybe we can find out whether and how we can meet your needs.
Yes. We also offer editing and proofreading of translations done by third-party translators or agencies. We immediately inform the customer if we feel that his translation does not meet our professional quality standards, so that the customer can decide whether we should proceed with proofreading the translation or whether the text should be translated all over again.
Yes, SDL Trados Studio 2014. We do NOT use this program to create so-called "machine translation". However, it supports the translator by drawing on translations from previously translated projects and indicating text passages that have already been translated. As a result, the price of a translation can often be reduced considerably.
This program also supports the translator and editor in building a customized terminology database. This ensures that a consistent terminology, specific technical terms, etc. will be used for each client. The use of a consistent database is especially important for large projects where multiple translators work on a project simultaneously.
The translation of documents in the language combination German/English is our core competence.
For several years, however, we have been offering translations into other languages, such as Italian, French, Dutch, Russian, Thai through collaboration with external partners (all translators translate into their mother tongue).
The majority of our translations in the language combination German/English is performed "in-house". However, for larger projects, we have access to a pool of external translators we have collaborated with successfully for many years.
We translate documents in almost any electronic format without changing the layout or format of the original documents.
Here is an overview of the formats we work with:
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Adobe FrameMaker
Documents in electronic form can be submitted directly through our contact form. Alternatively, you can send the document as an attachment in an email to the following address: email@example.com.
If the document is available in printed form only, you can send it to us by fax to (+49) 7248 934805, by post or courier. Please include your contact information (name, phone number, email and postal address), source language, target language(s) and the desired delivery date. As a rule, you will receive a cost estimate within two hours (after receipt of the documents).
Our rates for a translation project depend on the level of difficulty, subject matter, and deadline requirements, and, of course, on the volume of text to be translated, which is calculated by standard lines. A standard line consists of 55 characters per line (including spaces). A translation project is calculated on the basis of the source language.
We do not charge a minimum fee, no express surcharge, no weekend surcharge and we offer volume discounts and discounts for repeated text.
A framework agreement with a reduced rate per line can be concluded for large jobs or projects involving a contractually defined translation volume.
Please ask for a free quote for your project.
You can either use the contact form (on the Contact page) to send us a message and attach your document(s). Or you can send us your text by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive our firm offer within 1 hour.
Please include your contact data (name, phone number, email and postal address), source language, target language (s) and the desired delivery date. If you have any questions you can reach us by phone at: (++49) 7248 934800
This depends on the size of the documents, i.e. volume of text to be translated. Our average delivery times are as follows:
- up to 500 words - 4 hours
- 1,000 to 3,000 words - 1 working day
If your translation project is very urgent, we will do everything possible to keep the agreed delivery date.
- We only work with qualified native-speaker translators.
- We have more than 30 years' experience as a language provider.
- The payment is not due until 10 days after delivery of the translation, so you have plenty of time to check the quality of our translation and to report inaccuracies, if necessary.
- If you reasonably dispute the quality of our translation, we will provide a revised version as quickly as possible, at our expense.
- We undertake to keep all information and data submitted to Gauss Translations, either orally or in writing, in connection with a translation project strictly confidential, including all texts, drawings, diagrams, etc. We are open at any time to sign an NDA, if requested.
We accept the following payment methods:
- Bank transfer